Walnuts are often overlooked as common food. Walnuts are nutrient-rich with healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Even better is that walnuts are delicious to eat as a snack, an ingredient or as a topping to add a touch of crunch to a favorite side dish or dessert. Walnuts have long held a place in Contra Costa agriculture and continue to be an important crop for many Harvest Time farmers. Here is a list of reasons you should include local walnuts into your diet.
Walnuts Are Rich In Antioxidants
Interestingly, walnuts have higher levels of antioxidants than any other common nut. Antioxidants are said to help repair oxidative cell damage by removing free radicals from your cells. Some of this damage comes from LDL cholesterol that promotes atherosclerosis. The antioxidants come from vitamin E, melatonin and polyphenols in walnuts.
Walnuts Are An Important Plant Source of Omega-3s
Walnuts are higher in fatty omega-3’s than any other nut. Omega-3s are essential fats, which means you have to get it in your diet. Omega-3 fatty acids are vital to health because they lower your risk of suffering from heart disease by 10%. With just one serving of Walnuts a day, you may reduce your risk of heart disease.
Walnuts Promote Healthy Digestion
Another benefit of eating walnuts is healthy digestion. Research has shown that when adults eat walnuts, the health-promoting bacteria in your gut will increase. Unhealthy bacteria will lead to inflammation, swelling, and disease. People who eat a daily serving of walnuts have higher levels of healthy bacteria – which leads to good overall health.
Walnuts Can Improve Cholesterol Levels
Elevated levels of ‘bad’ LCL cholesterol and triglycerides have long been connected to an increased risk of heart disease. However, research has also shown than when people regularly consume walnuts they may have a lowered cholesterol level, and therefore experience a lower risk in heart disease.
Local Walnuts Are Easy To Purchase
Walnuts are incredibly easy to find at many of our Harvest Time stores. You can enjoy raw walnuts, roasted walnuts, or even cold-pressed walnut oil and take advantage of the health benefits walnuts provide. Regardless of whether you enjoy walnuts as a snack, or as an ingredient in your favorite dish, there are endless ways to integrate this healthy nut into your diet.
Walnuts are a deliciously healthy nut. They have higher antioxidant levels than any other nut, have exceptionally high levels of Omega-3s while offering a variety of health effects we can all take advantage of. Visit our Harvest Time map to learn which Harvest Time farm can provide you walnuts all year long.
Open U-Pick Farms
- Pomeroy Farms
- Springcrest Peaches, Sparkling May Nectarines
- Bacchini’s Fruit Tree – OPEN; Everyday 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM(Reservations and Walk-ins)
- Apricots, Olallieberries
- Chan’s Fruit Stand
- U-pick Strawberries
- Please call first as availability is running low as they are approaching the end of the season
- Airaya U-Pick Farm
- U-pick Apricot and Veggie Plants
- McKinney Farms – OPEN; Saturday & Sunday 8:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- The Urban Edge Farm
- U-Pick Apricot and Peaches; Produce Available
- The Farmer’s Daughter OPEN Daily
- Redtop Peaches & Yellow Nectarines U-Pick
- Canciamilla Ranch – OPEN Weekends 9AM – 5PM
We NOW have Brentwood Diamond Corn
- G&S Farms
- Dwelley Family Farms
- Simoni & Massoni Farms
- Farm Stands that carry Brentwood Corn:
- Gursky Ranch OPEN Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Local honey, pies, dried fruit, nuts, jams, candies, gifts
- McCauley Olive Groves Store OPEN M-F 10-6 Sat 9:30-5:30 Sun 10-4
Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Olives, Honey, Eggs, Pies, Nuts, Candies, Pasta, Gift Sets, Spices, Jams and much more
- Dwelley Family Farms – OPEN Starting May 20th Monday- Saturday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Smith Family Farm – OPEN Daily 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- The Farmer’s Daughter – OPEN Daily 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- The Urban Edge Farm
- Tess’ Kitchen
- Berry Best Farm Stand
- Pre-picked Fruits
Stop by Our Wineries
For EVENTS organized by our Harvest Time Wineries and Members, remember to check our EVENTS CALENDAR!